16 April, 2010

My Rollercoaster

I am writing this while feeding my wotsit addiction.

When I received this title from a song by Kimya Dawson I couldn't help but jump to thinking about Ronan Keating's song 'Life is a Rollercoaster' and think how I could write an absolutely stupid post about the 'ups and downs' of life. How interesting... not.

Instead I am going to talk about what everyone is talking about- at leats in the UK- last night's Leader's debate. It trully was a rollercoaster of events for few would have envisioned Lib Dem's Nick Clegg coming out on top.

Here are a few newspaper headlines supporting this.

The Guardian- Leaders' debate: Nick Clegg seizes his moment in the TV spotlight. Lib Dem leader makes powerful pitch as he depicts his party as a significant change from Labour and the Conservatives

The Times
- Nick Clegg seizes his moment in historic TV debate

The Mail- Tories turn fire on 'eccentric' Lib Dems after 'Obama-like Clegg' turns election campaign

The Telgraph- Nick Clegg's tv debate performance 'changed election dynamic', says Ashdown

The Express
- TV DEBATE: GORDON BROWN IS DOWN AND OUT

Apparently 61% of voters said that Nick Clegg won the first fight and I certainly have to agree. He clearly wiped the floor with both Cameron and Brown who were too busy calling ecah other names and making comments that basically amounted to 'my daddy is bigger than your daddy' to even notice Clegg's cool in front of the cameras.

I sat there throughout the debate, slowly getting drunk on pina coladas but enjoying the co-viewing of the debate and people's comedy jibes about it on Twitter. Who said that politics have to be boring?

I will be very interested to see how this rollercoaster continues and I think we will all be keeping a closer eye on Clegg in the future. British politics may traditionally be a two horse race but it is not every day that a Lib Dem candidate has made such an impact. This will be my first year when I am old enough to vote in a general election and I want to make sure I do it right. I shall continue to watch, with one eye on Twitter and a hand on a glass of alcohol.

Oh yeah, speaking of Cameron, he was already one point down in my book because I got sent a letter from him where I was addressed as 'Mr'. It is best to know the gender of your potential voters before you hound them, Mr Cameron.

No comments:

Post a Comment