22 April, 2010

Party for two

I am writing this from outside in the lovely sunshine that has decided to grace us with it's presence.

Obviously right now when given a blog title containing the word party is going to be about the elections. Well, maybe not such titles as 'knife party' (Detones) or 'The Party Song' (Blink 182) but mostly...

Anyway, Gordon Brown seems to think that a 'Party For Two' (Shania Twain) is possible. Throughout the first Leader's debate he developed the catchphrase 'I agree with Nick' despite Nick Clegg's apparent attempts to shake him off by pointing out all these new ideas about politics had only emerged due to the election and if he had really intended to carry out these ideas he would have done so already. Is this another case of the'Party and Bullshit' (Notorious B.I.G) method of winning the election? '"Vote Clegg and Get Brown" warns Cameron'.

Brown and Cameron are constantly playing the game of 'My Party is Better Than Yours' (Emmy the Great) and as part of this tug of war Brown has grabbed hold of Nick Clegg and said 'My party is better than yours because I agree with Nick' in vague hope that all LibDem voters will suddenly think 'Oh, it must be all right to vote for Brown because his policies are similar to Nick Clegg's' yet surely it is better to vote for someone who has the ideas rather than simply agrees with them?

From reading newspaper articles like this one some of the problem seems to be that Brown isn't really fighting for votes, instead allowing Mandelson to take charge while he politely has tea with people up and down the country. Bearing that in mind you can see why he wishes to hijack the LibDem voters.

Nick Clegg, reluctant to make his party and party or two, describes Brown as 'A desperate politician' and the Labour party as 'clutching at straws' , trying to shake off the sense of comradeship. It seems to be becoming a case of 'it's my party (and I'll cry i I want to)' (Leslie Gore) for Nick Clegg and 'It's not just a party it's a funeral' (Emmure) for Brown.

I might have to go look up some of those songs now so I actually know what they sound like...

No comments:

Post a Comment