01 April, 2010

Shiver

I am writing this from inside my cupboard. There isn't much room for me because of all the clothes but it is strangely comforting, if a little dark.

Today's song is Shiver by Maroon 5. A bit of a blast from the past for me. I remember buying that album while in sixth form when I was still young enough to not understand half the lyrics. I was a sheltered teenager.

Anyway, today I am going to include the first instalment of an as yet unanmed fantasty story.. well, I might have named it but I don't remember what the name is so I can't tell you. It includes the word 'shiver' and is therefore relevant to today's post. I have also painted some pictures to make it look more interesting. Just a note: what looks like the sea is actually the sky... I never claimed to be good at painting.

Part 1
Dorian had never known silence like it. A shiver ran down his spine as he pushed himself further forward to see right over the edge of the ship. A shadow was hovering just below them. The time had come.

He pulled himself up onto the banister, unsteadily fighting the wind to get to his feet. Slowly rising to his full height he gripped on with his toes, trying to make his feet as small as possible so they would fit on the thin piece of wood. The shadow below grew closer and he could hear the hum of the engine clearly now. As he stretched out his arms a smile played on his lips. His uncle had once told him that he was born without fear; looking down into the darkness he could almost believe him. His uncle had also said that it would kill him.

Dorian took a deep breath, shut his eyes and jumped.

At first the force of the wind almost felt like it held him up but then he really began to fall in a tangle of limbs and hair, twisting through the sky. His stomach flipped over and his heart leaped into his throat. Perhaps he had been too late.

Dorian let out a yelp just as he fell into the soft cushion-like roof of the zeppelin. For a while he couldn’t move, he just stared up at the sky and watched as his own airship passed by overhead, his heart pounding in his ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment