26 April, 2010

Witchy Woman

I am writing this from somewhere over the rainbow. That's right, I have been watching Andrew Lloyd Webber's latest search for a West-End star.

Out of all the reality tv shows where contestants search for stardom this has got to be my favourite. For one thing it isn't about finding a mildly talented pop star who will likely have one album and then disappear into oblivion. I have always been much more interested in the theatre than pop music, or indeed I would venture to say any kind of music (despite being a music lover). However, like all watchers of such programmes I become somewhat bitchy about the contestants and their performances.

With my meagre 10 years in amateur theatre I consider myself an expert in these matters and will helpfully shout hints to the Dorothys through the television. Now, I have watched this programme with several different sets of people and this seems to be the general concensus about how these sort of programmes should be watched. While the (now) 7 hopefuls audition for the role at Dorothy at home we provide enough venom for any wicked witch of the west.

Is it that they are more talented than us? Possibly. Yet at the same time I don't think the programme would be as enjoyable without throwing a few critical comments around between armchairs. Afterall. we have a vote on this. It seems to be the way that if we have a chance to vote a whole host of jokes and petty comments come to light. Just look at the elections... ok, so I'm not exactly comparing choosing a new Dorothy to electing a new Prime Minister- that would be stupid, but you know what I mean.

Maybe it doesn't paint me in the best light as I mention oversized foreheads, duff notes (I can't sing for toffee), unflattering outfits, unfortunate names (like I can talk) and fake acting but at the end of the day this is just the way I like to watch these programmes. It is best not to take them too seriously, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment