06 April, 2010

Somebody to Love

I am writing this from the wrong side of exhaustion. That will teach me to stay up too late talking.

Today’s topic is Somebody to Love, the first title taken from a Queen song- the first of many titles, I imagine as I have more Queen songs than songs by any other artist, making up 12% of my entire music collection.

I fancied something a little different today so I am going to make a list of my top ten literary couples with quotes and brief reasons for their inclusion.

10. Yuri Zhivago and Lara, Dr Zhivago by Boris Pasternak-

‘Most people experience love, without noticing that there is anything remarkable about it.’

There is a real epic feel to their love that, despite separation seems to echo through the book.

9. Clare and Henry, The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

‘Don't you think it's better to be extremely happy for a short while, even if you lose it, than to be just okay for your whole life?’

Possibly one of the saddest books I ever read and one of the most modern books on this list. I just loved the whole concept of the time travel in the book and engaged so completely with Clare throughout.

8. Jane and Mr Rochester, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

‘Reader, I married him’

One of my few happy ending couples. Classic.

7. Highwayman and Bess, The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes

‘Watch for me by moonlight,
I'll come to thee by moonlight, though hell should bar the way.’

I am, as you might be able to guess from this list a real sucker for tragic love and I love the rhythm and atmosphere of this poem.

6. Robbie and Cecilia, Atonement by Ian McEwan

‘Who would want to believe that they never met again, never fulfilled their love?’

The beauty and tragedy is that they are never really together, they never get the happy ending that they deserve. I really wanted to hate McEwan and his writing but this novel blew me away.

5. Viola and Orsino, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare

"But when in other habits you are seen,
Orsino's mistress, and his fancy's queen.’

Probably my favourite Shakespearian couple; it is only through their disguises that they can really see each other. I love how they almost instinctively fall in love with each other’s true selves before they are even aware of what they are.

4. Sir Lancelot and Elaine, The Once and Future King by T.H White

‘You have stolen my miracles. You have stolen my being the best knight. Elaine, why did you do it?’

Not the obvious couple from Arthurian Legend but definitely my favourite. It is a one-sided love affair that is often forgotten in comparison to Lancelot’s love of Guinevere. It only appears in a small section of the book but plays an important role in the story- cue: Galahad.

3. Percy and Marguerite- The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy

‘Had she but turned back then, and looked out once more on to the rose-lit garden, she would have seen that which would have made her own sufferings seem but light and easy to bear--a strong man, overwhelmed with his own passion and his own despair. Pride had given way at last, obstinacy was gone: the will was powerless. He was but a man madly, blindly, passionately in love, and as soon as her light footsteps had died away within the house, he knelt down upon the terrace steps, and in the very madness of his love he kissed one by one the places where her small foot had trodden, and the stone balustrade there, where her tiny hand had rested last.’

This couple are almost heart-breaking in how they treat each other, made all the worse by the fact that they are still madly in love and it is only circumstance that separates them. The musical of this book does a superb job of capturing the essence of this pairing.

2. Scarlett and Rhett, Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

‘I’ll think of some way to get him back, After all, tomorrow is another day.’

Another sad ending for a great literary couple but there is still hope. There is something about the chemistry and self awareness of this couple which I love along with their strength. Scarlett has always been a hero of mine.

1. Cathy and Heathcliff, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

‘And I pray one prayer--I repeat it till my tongue stiffens--Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered DO haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!’

This is easily my favourite love story of all time, although not a happy one the all-consuming nature of their love and how destructive it becomes for both of them is spellbinding.

There were so many more couples I could have put on this list and I wish I could have spoken a little more in depth about some of the novels but I fear I might ramble. If you fancy a good love story, I would definitely recommend one of the above.

No comments:

Post a Comment