Now, for a Day in the life.... of a sim. I have been playing sims 3 for quite a while now, since it came out, in fact. However, I have only just purchased the expansion pack 'World Adventures' (because I am a cheap skate and refuse to pay the original prices for such things) so I thought I would do a little review type thing.
Installation was undoubtedly the biggest problem with this game. I spent about 6 hours trying to figure out how to change region codes and update to particular versions etc without error messages appearing. In the end I had to uninstall my original game and start again from scratch which proved much more sucessful (I still had to fiddle with region codes etc mind but I could at least get it working).
So, I started playing- I created a sim, basing him on the anime version of the Count of Monte Cristo (Gankutsuou)- as seen here... yes, that's right- blue.
Anyway, as soon as I entered the game I decided to send him on an adventure to Egypt. While on this adventure I encountered various problems- the first being that when you first start travelling you can't travel for more than 3 days- you can travel longer as you complete more challenges.The problem I had, though, was that I never had enough time to complete a challenge before I had to return home. I solved this problem the good old fashioned way- by cheating. I don't need to sleep (apparently) so neither does The Count.
The second problem that I had (while not cheating) was that after purchasing a tent I could find nowhere big enough to pitch it and there was no way of getting rid of it once it had been selected. Annoying. In the end I had to ctrl+Alt+delete and then return to the window to get rid of it.
The funniest moment in these early hours was when the count was riding around on his scooter, got off, then passed out with an audible thud. Hardly like the real Count of Monte Cristo.
I was also a little disappointed that you had to wait at hime for a few days before going on another adventure- I was eager to explore all of the new locations!
Luckily as I became accustomed to the new features of the game these problems were sorted out and I actually had the chance to enjoy exploring tombs and the new locations. Now, after several hours gameplay, it is safe to say that I am hooked (I can get addicted to games quite easily). It bridges the gap between the typical sims 3 game play and adventure game where you have to complete missions to advance- a thing that I am enjoying muchly.
I am also enjoying the new skills- martial arts and photography- a lovely momenet was when I went to look at the first photo that The Count took whilst away and discoverd that he had placed his thumb over the lense. The new furnitire for the sim's home and new outfits are also very good.
However, I am not yet convinced that the game is worth the hours of frustration I expereinced whilst trying to install it. Maybe I will change my mind when I can no longer remember it.

No comments:
Post a Comment