21 May, 2010

Guess God Thinks I’m Abel

I am writing this with my ponytail tied too tightly so my head hurts. Ouch.

In the bible Abel is killed by his brother Cain and is a victim of his brother’s jealousy. Sometimes it seems as if we are victims too. Things pile down on us- one thing after another- on and on and on it goes and then another thing happens and it all seems like the world is going to end. That is when we are Abel.

But we can deal with these things and move on as well. Give life a good punch in the face and say ‘high-ya! Take that, you shite monger’. No one says life is easy but we all have the potential to deal with it, in other words we are able.

When I first heard the song by Oasis I thought the title was ‘Guess God Thinks I’m Able’ and that it was about strength and being able to face problems. It was only later that I learnt it was a much whinier sort of title about being a victim- about being sacrificed.

I would rather think myself as Able than Abel. I think that is probably the better outlook on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment