I am writing this while on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, so excuse me if what I say is a little over-emotional, manic or something else of that ilk.
I have a confession to make: Before 2010 I knew nothing of politics, I had no real political stance, I had never watched a leaders debate and I doubt I even knew what a hung parliament was.
And yet here I am.
I did what I was supposed to do as a British Citizen, I voted. For the first time I took a real interest in politics- even contesting the ideas of those around me as I formed my own political identity. I felt I was really making a difference, that I was doing something that matters.
Then I learnt more about the Democracy we live in and became genuinely shocked at how the votes were counted and sorted. My former enthusiasm is now like bile in my mouth; sickening.
It now feels to me as though the world is coming to the end- as though a time of political unrest is upon us. Although decisioms have been made, I do not feel the usual sense of calm- I feel as though the true decisions are never going to be made.
A nightmare is made scarier by the fact that we made it ourselves.
As a country we have had our say and we made our choices. For the most part, our choices seem to be ignored. Maybe one day we will be allowed to be more than just pawns on a chessboard, a chance to actually live out democracy.
This blog post was inspired by Samuel Robinson's rather more imformative blog post
12 May, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment